Thursday, December 20, 2007

Future/Past

1. Writing a play is very different from anything else to say at the least. With a play in mind, it hinders the specifics of a stage set and the locations in which a play can be set. With my play in mind, I tried to keep in mind an actual stage and so many situations (sets, number of settings, changing of settings in between acts/scenes) I thought of wouldn't have been suitable for the stage.

2. I would enjoy writing about any of the significant (good or bad) moments in my life and then reflect about how it was overall a positive experience (even the bad ones) because of what I learned from it in order to improve my thinking about the world around us/life.

One experience that really has had a great impact on my life, was my experience at this camp that I have gone to for the past 5 summers. It's called Sup Sogui Hosu (Lake of the Forest in Korean) and it's located near Bemidji, MN. Each year, I learned more korean, met new people, and always left satisfied with everything that had happened. This story could span pages and pages because of everything I learned, everything I experienced, and overall just the story of what happened and even a basic introduction about the camp itself.

Another experience I had that greatly impacted my life was the time I spent with my (now ex) girlfriend (whom I had met at camp). I could write a lot about my emotions towards her and the entire story of our relationship and everything, but the thing I think is odd even after she broke up with me was the fact that I didn't hate her for it. Anyway, that's another story for another time so I won't ramble.

3. The problem I see with giving a 5 or 10 year kid advice about things such as the world, life, religion, and other things of the sort, is the fact that they most likely won't understand the reasoning for things with the grasp of more than just fun, school, and toys. Frankly, when I attempt to give my 13 year old sister advice, she sometimes gives looks quite confused as to what I'm talking about and claim that she's more informed about the world/life than I give her credit for. But as a cynic, I wouldn't spoil the whole enjoyment of childhood for either the 5 or 10 year old explaining things such as santa claus isn't real, puberty, driving, work, life, racism, politics, religion, technology, and many other things that they aren't able to grasp yet. I would just tell either of them to enjoy the time that they have as a child, having fun, being excited for holidays, and living for themselves in the moment.

4 comments:

Tyler K's Blog said...

In my opinion, I think that you should write about an experience you had at camp. I do not think that writing about a relationship would be that fun to listen to in a personal essay. Hopefully you had a very exciting and adventurous experience through the 5 years that you have been there. Writing about a camp would be very interesting to read in a personal essay. WHOOOOOOOO!!! :)

Ross Neal said...

Tell about how the experience at camp changed you and how you met your former girlfriend. Tell if you had a chance to do it all over again, would you want to meet her again.

Mr. Miles said...

"claim that she's more informed about the world/life than I give her credit for"

That's very true for many teenagers as well. In fact, I would say that you hit 26 and realize that you do't know as much as you thought and don't feel threatened by older people giving you advice. It's pretty universal.

Mr. Miles said...

I just saw Ross's comments. That's a good idea!