Sunday, January 13, 2008

Boring Title (cont.)

2. I think one news event that has had a large impact (mostly on the US in comparison to me) is/was the Iraq War. Frankly, I don't see the justification in this war other than to get rid of a tyrannical dictator, of course. But having done this, I see no more justification in being in Iraq when there are many other problems (dictatorships and threat of nuclear weapons) in places such as Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan, and also the Al Qaeda itself. A key issue for the future politicians of this country (specifically presidential candidates) is their strategy for the "war." "What can be done" and "when will we leave" are two questions that politicians need to answer. However, I think that it is more important to find out what the people of this country believe to be as part of the solution for this "war on terror." Yes, politicians should come out strong and have a strong sense of what they want done and how they will/can accomplish that, but in a democratic society, the voice of the people is what counts. And no, this does not suggest that the President should ask the random guy off the street what he thinks of the war and do what he says. And as an "under-the-counter" sort of issue, I believe that if this war was partially (or solely) for oil, how come the price of gas is still climbing and possibly could be more than $5 a gallon within the next 20 years? If this war was for oil, how come the american people aren't reaping any of these benefits?

3. Frankly, I don't believe in goals for specific reasons:

A) I don't want to accept the responsibility and obligation to myself in completing something (especially when I decide to put it off for later in the year). I mean, yes I do intend to graduate from school and be off to college in the coming fall, but as far as specific things that I want to accomplish, complete, or even attempt, I have no such list.

A.5) Again, with responsibility and obligation, the sense of failure can only be a consequence with something, I dare to call, so trivial. While I was in a large rutt for some time, I didn't see any light at the end of the tunnel and thusly, thought nothing of my future. My philosophy on goals became "have no goals because if you don't complete them, there is no dissapointment." Still being a rut (different than before), I still wish to live in the present rather than plan and schedule for the future. Also, part of my reasoning is that with plans/goals and a set time for things, something will go haywire at the last moment and I'll feel a sense of failure and dissapointment in myself more than anyone else and thusly sink deeper into a rut. I still believe in my "have no goals because if you don't complete them, there is no dissapointment" philsophy because "life is a game and we are the gamblers", meaning that we have to life as it comes and not expect, wait, or plan for anything. Just take life one moment at a time. "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around."

No comments: