Friday, January 18, 2008

Parting is such sweet sorrow

1) I think the best thing about the essay (and I suppose this applies to everyone else as well) is that it is original. Everyone sees things in a different light and I just try to shed my own light onto everyone to show them my perspective. I think the real difference with fiction is that with an essay like this, we try to emulate fiction which can be hard to do with a real life experience. I think that the personal essays real show what someone has learned/experienced from their lifetime and how it has shaped/affected them now. I think of my essay as just one chapter in the book of my life and no one else will ever be able to write it like me.

2) Reading is essential in writing because of what you learn. With the outside perspective of other writers and also their critics, you are able to learn many things from reading such as a writing style, how something is told/explained, the imagery, the themes, symbols, and also where the writer is coming from/why they wrote this. Many film directors strive to be like their idols, the best directors that they wish to model their style after. I think the same really goes for writers, striving to become the best and also may homage to the greats of literature.

3) I think that the poetry unit/poems that I wrote were the best pieces I have ever written. I feel a sense of more emotion that is involved in poetry in comparison to actual stories. I don't have a single poem that I was especially proud of, but most of them I felt really expressed how I was feeling and thinking at the time. I think that I really have poor skills in writing short stories, mostly I feel that in comparison to an actual novel, everything has to be rushed in a few pages in order to convey a point. With a novel, the reader is able to feel the downfall of the hero, feel the joy of their accomplishments, and understand and wish for the life that only exists in stories.

4)
coke
unknown
both
both
neither
neither
NYC
unknown
unknown
well technically SK (Korea)
unknown
5) not aladdin, not cinderella, not snow white, and not jungle book. I don't know where from there though.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can agree that everyone essay is diffrent but i still think they are boaring to read most of the time and i deffinatly didn't like writing it. I agree with you about reading being import to learn. Ya go poetry! it was by far the best unit.

Tyler K's Blog said...

Very interesting, you a lot of choices that are not answered. Even if you don't like something, you probably like one less then the other. I don't know what movie is either.

Ross Neal said...

I think your poems were very well written. I think your should be proud of that. You should opursue a career in writing.